Palazzo Strozzi in Florence
Situated between Piazza Strozzi and via Tornabuoni in the heart of Florence, the Palazzo Strozzi is one of the finest examples of Renaissance residential architecture. It was commissioned by the Florentine merchant Filippo Strozzi and the foundations were laid in 1489 according to a design by Benedetto da Maiano. A year later the project was given to Simone del Pollaiolo, known as Cronaca, who worked on it until 1504 but the palazzo was only finally finished in 1538. The palazzo remained the property of the Strozzi family until 1937. Since 1999 it has been managed by the City of Florence.
From the time of the Second World War the Palazzo has been Florence’s largest temporary exhibition space. Among the major exhibitions held at Palazzo Strozzi have been the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (1949), Le Corbusier (1963), Gustav Klimt (1991), Botticelli and Filippo Lippi (Italy’s most visited exhibition in Italy in 2004), Cézanne in Florence (2007), Bronzino: Artist and Poet at the Court of the Medici (which received international acclaim in 2010) Picasso Mirò Dalì – Angry Young Men: The Birth of Modernity (2011), Money & Beauty: The Bankers, Botticelli and the Bonfire of the Vanities (2011), Americans in Florence: Sargent and the American Impressionists (2012), The Russian Avant-Garde, Siberia and the East (2013), Pontormo and Rosso, Diverging Paths of Mannerism (2014), Power and Pathos, Bronze Sculpture of the Hellenistic World (2015) and currently, Sculptures Also Die, a reflection of contemporary sculpture designed to tie in with the exhibition, Power and Pathos, Bronze Sculpture of the Hellenistic World.